Name: Jonny McMurtry
My background and passion is understanding people’s motivation and assisting them and the people they work with to achieve what they are striving to accomplish in sporting or working atmospheres.
Previous experience, learning and qualifications have given me both the skills and desire to understand why people, most notably sporting participants engage in the ways that they do while understanding what directs their engagement and the key actors in participation and performance pathways.
- Jan 2016: Completing Masters of Philosophy (MPhil) in Sports Coaching at University of Queensland in conjunction with Australian Rugby Union
- NLP practitioner certification course (intermediate to advanced; completed 2015)
- University of Queensland; June 2013: Completed Graduate Diploma in Sports Coaching
- Queensland Rugby Union/ARU; March 2010 (reaccrediated in Dec 2016): Level 2 coaching qualification
- University of Welsh Institute, Cardiff; attended 2001-2004 2004; achieved 2:2 in BA (Hons) Business Studies with Business Law
Sporting Achievements and relative experience:
- May 2018: Presented current research to ARU National Pathway Coordinators and
coaches as part of Oceania 2018 U20 tournament
- April 2018: Attended ARU National Coaching Development Workshop at Bond
University (recognised ARU/QRU accredited advanced learning course)
- July 2017: Presented current research to an International audience as part of ICCE Global Coach Conference in Liverpool, UK.
- June 2016: Attended ARU Annual National Coaching Conference in Brisbane (recognised ARU/QRU accredited advanced learning courses)
- July 2015: Attended ARU National Coaching Conference in Brisbane (recognised ARU/QRU accredited advanced learning courses)
- 2014 – 2016: Member of UQ Rugby Colts Premier coaching group (Colts 1 forwards coach; 2014 Minor Premiers and GF winners; 2015 Minor Premiership and GF)
- Oct-Nov 2014: Attended Sportacise Coaches Academy 2014 (recognised ARU/QRU accredited advanced learning courses)
- November 2013: Attended Advanced Coaching Seminar – Skills Teaching (Brisbane)
- 2011-2012: Attended and completed Sportacise Rugby Coaches Academy
Involvement in ARU age grade programs (2010-2015):
- Sept 2014: Appointed Coaching Coordinator for Ipswich Junior Gold Cup Centre for 2014-2015 season (ARU Age Grade program)
- October 2013: Appointed assistant coach of Brisbane U15 Yellow side for Junior Gold Cup competition
- March 2013: Appointed BJRU City U15 head coach for 2 seasons
- October 2012: Appointed Head Coach of Brisbane City U14 side v NSW Country for 1 match fixture
- September 2012: Appointed member of coaching and development team for ARU Junior Gold program for Brisbane region (Summer 2012-2013)
- October 2011: Appointed member of coaching and development team for ARU Junior Gold program for Brisbane region (Summer 2011-2012).
- November 2010: Attended ARU Junior Gold Program Coaching Workshop
- 2010-2011: Backs coach for Junior QLD Reds program summer 2010/2011.